Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Oh, the fun I've had...

As I draw closer to moving on from the hostel and starting my new job, I've been reminiscing about my favourite moments there. One resident I have particularly fond memories of keeps springing to mind.

I keyworked him for around three months, and every time I saw him his pupils were like pin-pricks, he was sweating cobs and spouting nonsensical gibberish (a sure sign of opiate abuse. Or too much daytime TV). He would regularly come down to the office to phone his family/probation officer/dealer etc. Whether he had a hearing problem or was just a loaf-headed twat I'm not too sure, but he was constantly shouting "HUH?" into the phone.
He also had this habit of coming into the office and proudly showing me what he'd just shop-lifted. I was always having to point out that since I was his keyworker, and not one of his slack-arsed Chav mates, I would have to call the police and let them know about it. He seemed quite hurt by this, but it didn't stop him from showing me stuff. The police never came to the hostel to investigate because they were stop-searching him every other day anyway and couldn't handle the extra work load.

Eventually he was offered a flat. 30 doors from my own home... During the viewing of his prospective home a neighbour witnessed him shooting up on the doorstep of the property before the arrival of the housing officer, and then burgling the other neighbour's shed after the housing officer had departed. She reported him and the offer was withdrawn. The possiblity of having to advocate for him if he appealed the decision posed something of a dilemma. The situation resolved itself when, during a room search carried out by police, we discovered a fecking huge sack of drugs paraphernalia and evicted him.

Ah, happy days. I'll post more musings when they surface from my repressed memory.

Old Chinese curse: May you live in interesting times. Pay heed, Dataphage.

5 Comments:

Blogger dataphage said...

Wot me?! *adopts innocent look*

By the way: Spam, spam, spam, spam. Spam, spam, spam, spam. Turn on the word verification in your comment settings.

10/12/2005 12:50 am  
Blogger Shining Love Pig said...

This accursed cock rash has blighted my blog once more...I think I`ll take your advice Tom. If only my interface wasn`t in Japanese...

10/12/2005 4:14 am  
Blogger dataphage said...

Or you could just not use HaloScan because blogger commenting didn't exist when you started your blog and you could be failing to update your blog because you're too busy playing with your digital camera.

10/19/2005 12:11 am  
Blogger Shining Love Pig said...

Now that Ben`s not blogging, it doesn`t seem quite as cool any more. Seems a waste of a ticket to Japan, if you ask me...

10/19/2005 5:54 am  
Blogger bulabula said...

Ah. Ben's earlier angst-ridden spoutings of blogging inadequacy are brushed under the carpet in favour of faux-bravado and pseudo-coolness. That's what we like to see Yacobi. Back to your old self. Keep it up :)

10/19/2005 10:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home